UND* wants you!
OPEN CALL UND #11
topic: At. Home?
deadline for submissions: 2 August 2021
submit via email: redaktion[at]undheft[dot]at
UND #11 will be published end of November 2021.
Somebody lives somewhere. Surrounded by a landscape of some sort, some habits, languages, meals, moods, developments. Stories, of course. Of course? Well, there’s images, and there’s opinions. There’s some border somewhere. Now, is that home? Or what do we actually mean by that? Is home bound to concrete places at all? Can there be several homes? Where and how do we interfere with our living space, and how does that affect our perception? And why does everyone suddenly want to get back into nature? In cable cars, in masses, and as originally as possible.
Construct room for thoughts, deconstruct beliefs, and demystify those identities constructed all too exclusively!
Open Call – Requirements
A topic for each issue of UND magazine is announced in an open call, and we gather any relevant material you come up with in response.
Who may submit?
Each and everyone.
What sort of content may be submitted?*
Photos, essays, illustrations, drawings, sculptures, collages, theoretical considerations, cartoons, reflections, project descriptions, interviews, poems, questionnaires, experience reports, theatrical works, installations, sketches, instructions, prose miniatures, satire, announcements, comics, possibilities, dreams, and utopias … Any printable content may be submitted. However, your submission has to clearly reflect the announced topic.
What are the guidelines for text submissions?
– Please submit only Word documents (NO PDFs)!
– Only 1 text or 1 poem per contributor!
– Maximum text length: 17,500 characters (incl. spaces, title, teaser, footnotes, and/or references)
What else should your text submission contain?
– Headline or title of your work
– Teaser: Describe your work in 2–3 sentences (not required for short stories, poetry, or other fiction).
– Please submit the following information in a separate Word document:
- Specification of the text type
- Full name and postal address (for free copies of the magazine)
- Short biography for the magazine’s index
- Instagram or Facebook address (if existing): Since UND magazine is meant to be a network for creative people, we communicate on its contents and contributors via social media too. Should that not meet your expectations, please give us a heads-up.
What are the guidelines for pictorial submissions?
– Please provide low-resolution images (72 dpi) at first – otherwise, our mailbox will burst. After selection, the editorial team will ask for higher resolution images (300 dpi).
– Please include the following information in a separate Word document:
- Technique, year of origin
- Short description of your work/explanation of its intention (2–3 sentences)
- Full name and postal address (for your free copies of the magazine)
- Short biography for the index of the magazine
- Instagram or Facebook address (if existing): Since UND magazine is meant to be a network for creative people, we communicate on its contents and contributors via social media too. Should that not meet your expectations, please give us a heads-up!
By submission, the contributor declares their agreement to publication in UND magazine. The copyrights remain with the contributor. The contributor has to be the author of the text or pictorial submission. In case the submission contains any text (e.g., quotations) or images from someone else, these MUST be clearly identified and properly quoted (e.g., name of the photographer or author, exact book title) – the copyright permissions must be cleared and obtained beforehand!
How do we select contributions?
The decision about which of the submitted works will be published is made in several jury sessions, which are attended by the editorial team and some ever-changing external members. Proximity to the topic of the current issue is one important selection criterion. However, the selection is not solely based on qualities regarding content and/or style, but it is also about covering a variety of types of images and texts as wide as possible, as well as different perspectives on the respective topic of the issue.
For your information: After selection, we proofread and edit your text. And we apply norms of gender-inclusive language where suitable (which does not apply to short stories, poetry, or other fictional text types). Should this be contrary to your intentions, please give us a heads-up!
* Submissions must not contain any racist or other discriminatory content. The editorial team of UND magazine reserves the right to select suitable contributions.